Yesterday, I went to a great talk given by Dave Goldsman from Georgia Tech called “The Role of Simulation in Humanitarian Logistics.” The seminar was organized by my colleague Jill Hardin at VCU as part of the Operations Research Seminar Series. The talk summarized some of Dr. Goldman’s experiences in applying simulation to problems in health clinic management/flow and the spread of Guinea worms in Africa. Guinea worms are particularly interesting. Guinea worms are parasites that are contracted by drinking contaminated water. Once contracted, they eat their way out of the body and reproduce. Breaking the chain results in extermination. This can be easily accomplished by filtering water. However, because of the civil war in Sudan, many soldiers walk home, contracting Guinea worms along the way. Finding a strategy for targeting resources is important for completely eradicating the Guinea worm. The research was funded by the Carter Center, and apparently, Jimmy Carter’s work has nearly eradicated the Guinea worm already.
April 11, 2007
By Laura Albert
This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 11th, 2007 at 1:53 pm and posted in Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Search Punk Rock OR:
- Today was a gorgeous day in #Wisconsin! I ran to the @UWMadison Terrace and back. I took the scenic route and finis… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- The release of the @Comey memos ( cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2018/image…) reminds me of one of my favorite articles from @TheOnion:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- On why #AI is not a thing (yet): "Unfortunately, we are not very good at anticipating what the next emerging serio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- Check it out: @Supernetworks is a #MathGem, excellent role model, and rock star 👏😎🙌 #orms twitter.com/stemgemsbook/s… 3 days ago
- Disgraced Donkey Kong Master Says He's Got Proof He Didn't Cheat - @NPR npr.org/sections/thetw… "King of Kong: A F… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 days ago
- I woke up to good news this morning ☕❤️ ☕❤️ ☕ dailymail.co.uk/health/article… 4 days ago
Tagsanalytics art aviation blogs cheese coloring computing conferences cooking coupons criminal justice data decision analysis disasters education elections emergencies environmentalism & natural living finance football analytics grand challenges graph theory health healthcare higher education holidays homeland security humanitarian invited talks lightning lottery march madness marketing math programming mip MODA Olympics optimization ORMS blog-off OR publications PhD phd student advice pirates podcast and video Poisson politics probability public policy publishing queuing recipe risk communication science communication science fair secretary problem slidecasts social justice social networking sports star wars stochastic processes stopping problems teaching teaching with technology traffic Transportation TSP twitter vampires weather werewolves women work-life balance writing zombies