Earlier, I wrote about the NCAA basketball tournament. My brackets are not faring well, but I didn’t have time to use any of the analytical methods that I recommended. There was a piece on the news about two College of Charleston undergraduates who used their brackets as a class project for their operations research class. There is even a video! (I had trouble viewing it). They predict the Final Four to likely be UNC, Kansas, Texas and Duke (Duke didn’t make the Sweet 16).
March 24, 2008
how is your bracket doing?
By Laura Albert
This entry was posted on Monday, March 24th, 2008 at 8:44 pm and posted in Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Search Punk Rock OR:
- I devoured this article on @insidehighered called "The Shame of Changing Your Name." There. Should. Be. No. Shame.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 57 minutes ago
- Eigenvectors from Eigenvalues: a survey of a basic identity in linear algebra by #TerenceTao terrytao.wordpress.com/2019/12/03/eig… #math #maths 1 hour ago
- A report from the journal Discrete Optimization indicates that my paper "Algorithms for the bounded set-up knapsack… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- #ISYE & #analytics community: interested in teaching? Come and work with me! @UWISyE is hiring a full-time faculty… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- I gave an exam on Tuesday and forgot to post my #NFL rankings earlier this week. Here are my belated rankings 🏈 twitter.com/BadgerBrackets… 6 hours ago
- I have never once made a cheese wager! 🧀 I've been living in Wisconsin for years and had no idea I've been doing i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Crazy Clean Cheap Asians // Crazy Christine Comments // Call (for) Colloquium – Soft Rock OR. Inclusive OR. Not exclusive OR! on When should a football team attempt a two point conversion instead of an extra point? A dynamic programming approach.
- Crazy Clean Cheap Asians // Crazy Christine Comments // Call (for) Colloquium – Soft Rock OR. Inclusive OR. Not exclusive OR! on snowblowing is NP-complete
- Laura Albert on When should a football team attempt a two point conversion instead of an extra point? A dynamic programming approach.
- Luis Duran on When should a football team attempt a two point conversion instead of an extra point? A dynamic programming approach.
Tagsanalytics art aviation blogs cheese coloring computing conferences cooking coupons criminal justice data decision analysis disasters education elections emergencies environmentalism & natural living finance football analytics grand challenges graph theory health healthcare higher education holidays homeland security humanitarian invited talks lightning lottery march madness marketing math programming mip MODA Olympics optimization ORMS blog-off OR publications PhD phd student advice pirates podcast and video Poisson politics probability public policy publishing queuing recipe risk communication science communication science fair secretary problem slidecasts social justice social networking sports star wars stochastic processes stopping problems teaching teaching with technology traffic Transportation TSP twitter vampires weather werewolves women work-life balance writing zombies