I decided to sew a quick Advent calendar earlier in December to ration candy consumption in the house. Advent calendars have 24 pockets/doors/hooks/etc. for accessing Christmas treats (I prefer chocolate). I sewed my Advent with five colors of felt. When I was done, I looked at it and immediately thought that I should have added a 25th pocket, arranged the squares in a five-by-five grid, and assigned the colors according to a Latin square. Oh well. That is a project for another year.
December 22, 2010
not a Latin square
By Laura Albert
This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 at 12:54 pm and tagged with holidays and posted in Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Search Punk Rock OR:
- RT @CDCgov: Breaking: CDC’s recommendation on use of cloth face coverings, especially in areas of significant community-based transmission… 9 hours ago
- RT @DavidEpstein: Range ebook is on sale for $4.99, potential quarantine reading. (Last chap profiles Arturo Casadevall, visonary behind Na… 10 hours ago
- “What does it mean for the federal government to be prepared? ...Preparation means planning ahead of a crisis, and… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago
- I’ve been impressed with how groups of people are finally sharing the hiking/biking/running paths. I hope this cont… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago
- Is Rear Window a great #SocialDistancing movie? Or the greatest? 🍿 #greatest 23 hours ago
- How has Germany been doing 500,000 #COVID19 tests per week? With industrial engineering methods! "Some hospitals… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Les Servi on Travel Bans Can’t Stop this Pandemic
- Robyn on why my cookies turned green: a post on chemistry
- Crazy Clean Cheap Asians // Crazy Christine Comments // Call (for) Colloquium – Soft Rock OR. Inclusive OR. Not exclusive OR! on When should a football team attempt a two point conversion instead of an extra point? A dynamic programming approach.
- Crazy Clean Cheap Asians // Crazy Christine Comments // Call (for) Colloquium – Soft Rock OR. Inclusive OR. Not exclusive OR! on snowblowing is NP-complete
Tagsanalytics art aviation blogs cheese coloring computing conferences cooking coupons criminal justice data decision analysis disasters education elections emergencies environmentalism & natural living finance football analytics grand challenges graph theory health healthcare higher education holidays homeland security humanitarian invited talks lightning lottery march madness marketing math programming mip MODA Olympics optimization OR publications pandemic PhD phd student advice pirates podcast and video Poisson politics probability public policy publishing queuing risk communication sabbatical science communication science fair secretary problem slidecasts social justice social networking sports star wars stochastic processes stopping problems teaching teaching with technology traffic Transportation TSP twitter vampires weather werewolves women work-life balance writing zombies