Three weeks ago, Hurricane Irene hit the North Carolina and Virginia coast. Although Hurricane Irene was quickly demoted to a tropical storm, the rain and wind caused massive power outages in the Richmond area. Most of the power outages and road closures were caused by trees that were uprooted during the storm (all of the power lines in the area are wbove ground, and it is very wooded in the area). Here are a few pictures that I took after the storm.
September 22, 2011
pictures of the carnage at the hands of Hurricane Irene
By Laura Albert
This entry was posted on Thursday, September 22nd, 2011 at 8:10 am and posted in Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Search Punk Rock OR:
- Operations Research in Disaster Management: #ORMS Today informs.org/Publications/O… 1 day ago
- This is a great idea! There are a few excellent examples in Weapons of Math Destruction by @mathbabedotorg twitter.com/johnangelis/st… 2 days ago
- Rebuilding America's #infrastructure: a bipartisan report from the Problem Solvers Caucus katko.house.gov/psc-infrastruc… 2 days ago
- .@INFORMS has special membership rates & other discounts for those in developing countries #ORMS informs.org/About-INFORMS/… 3 days ago
- "Any political review of scientific proposals is inappropriate, as it gives the appearance of political interferenc… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- RT @mjcavaretta: “companies are swimming in data. Data is everywhere.” What poses a problem is sifting through the all this data, and disco… 3 days ago
Tagsanalytics art aviation blogs cheese coloring computing conferences cooking coupons criminal justice data decision analysis disasters education elections emergencies environmentalism & natural living finance football analytics grand challenges graph theory health healthcare higher education holidays homeland security humanitarian invited talks lightning lottery march madness marketing math programming mip MODA Olympics optimization ORMS blog-off OR publications PhD phd student advice pirates podcast and video Poisson politics probability public policy publishing queuing recipe risk communication science communication science fair secretary problem slidecasts social justice social networking sports star wars stochastic processes stopping problems teaching teaching with technology traffic Transportation TSP twitter vampires weather werewolves women work-life balance writing zombies