This TSP blog post is in honor of Bill Cook’s lecture at the University of Wisconsin on Monday, April 7:
HF Deluca Forum
The Discovery Building.
12 – 1 pm.
More info: go.wisc.edu/salesman.
We are very excited to host Bill on Monday. Bill informally launched an information Dairyland TSP challenge on twitter, a tour through all 165 stops in America’s Dairyland [link to pdf]. What is the shortest tour? Hint: try using Bill’s TSP iPhone/iPad app!
For more reading:
- Bill has some fantastic TSP resources on his web site.
- My colleague Jordan Ellenberg’s reviewed In Pursuit of the Traveling Salesman in the Wall Street Journal.
- Here is my review of In Pursuit of the Traveling Salesman.
- How to visit all 30 Major League Baseball stadiums in the shortest amount of time.
- A Christmas brain teaser (yes, it involves the TSP)
Here are a few other TSP links.
This video shows a visualization of Greedy, Local Search, and Simulated Annealing strategies for solving the Traveling Salesman problem.