This page contains research, teaching materials, code, data, and other materials .
- Jacobson, S. H., A. McLay, S. N. Hall, J. E. Orosz, 2005. Performance Analysis of Cyclical Simulated Annealing Algorithms, Methodology and Computing in Applied Probability 7(2) 183 – 201.
- Jacobson, S. H., J. E. Virta, A. McLay, J. E. Kobza, 2005. Integer Program Models for the Deployment of Airport Baggage Screening Security Devices, Optimization and Engineering 6(3) 339 – 359.
- Vaughan, D. E., S. H. Jacobson, S. N.Hall, and A. McLay, 2005. Simultaneous Generalized Hill Climbing Algorithms for Addressing Sets of Discrete Optimization Problems, INFORMS Journal on Computing 17(4) 1 – 12.
- Jacobson, S. H., A. McLay, J. E. Kobza, J. M. Bowman, 2005. Modeling and Analyzing Multiple Station Baggage Screening Security System Performance, Naval Research Logistics 52(1), 30 – 45.
- McLay, L. A. and D. E. Goldberg, 2005. Efficient Genetic Algorithms using Discretization Scheduling, Evolutionary Computation 13 (3) 353 – 385.
- McLay, L. A., S. H. Jacobson, and J. E. Kobza, 2006. A Multilevel Passenger Prescreening Problem for Aviation Security, Naval Research Logistics 53 (3), 183 – 197.
- Jacobson, S. H., A. McLay, S. N. Hall, D. Henderson, D. E. Vaughan, 2006. Optimal Search Strategies Using Simultaneous Generalized Hill Climbing Algorithms, Mathematical and Computer Modelling 49(9-10), 1061 – 1073
- Jacobson, S.H., A. McLay, 2006. The Economic Impact of Obesity on Automobile Fuel Consumption, The Engineering Economist 51(4), 307 – 323.
- McLay, L. A., S. H. Jacobson, and J. E. Kobza, 2007. Integer Programming Models and Analysis for a Multilevel Passenger Screening Problem, IIE Transactions 39(1), 73 – 81.
- McLay, L. A. and S. H. Jacobson, 2007. Integer Knapsack Problems with Set-up Weights, Computational Optimization and Applications 37(1), 35 – 47.
- McLay, L. A. and S. H. Jacobson, 2007. Algorithms for the Bounded Set-Up Knapsack Problem, Discrete Optimization 4(2), 206 – 212.
- Nikolaev, A. G., S. H. Jacobson, and A. McLay, 2007. A Sequential Stochastic Security System Design Problem for Aviation Security, Transportation Science 41(2), 182 – 194.
- McLay, L. A., S. H. Jacobson and J.E. Kobza, 2008. The Tradeoff between Technology and Prescreening Intelligence in Checked Baggage Screening for Aviation Security, Journal of Transportation Security 1(2), 107 – 126.
- Jacobson, S.H., and A. McLay, 2009. Applying Statistical Tests to Empirically Compare Tabu Search Parameters for MAX 3-SATISFIABILITY: A Case Study, Omega 37(3), 522-534.
- McLay, L.A., A Maximum Expected Covering Location Model with Two Types of Servers, IIE Transactions 41(8), 730 – 741.
- Lee, A.J., A. McLay, and S.H. Jacobson, 2009. Designing Aviation Security Passenger Screening Systems using Nonlinear Control. SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization 48(4), 2085 – 2105.
- McLay, L. A., S. H. Jacobson, and A. G. Nikolaev, 2009. A Sequential Stochastic Passenger Screening Problem for Aviation Security, IIE Transactions 41(6), 575 – 591.
- McLay, L.A., S.H. Jacobson, A.J. Lee, 2010. Risk-Based Policies for Aviation Security Checkpoint Screening. Transportation Science 44(3), 333-349.
- McLay, L.A. and M.E. Mayorga, 2010. Evaluating Emergency Medical Service Performance Measures. Health Care Management Science 13(2), 124 – 136.
- Merrick, J.R.W., McLay, L.A., 2010. Is Screening Cargo Containers for Smuggled Nuclear Threats Worthwhile? Decision Analysis 7(2), 155 – 171.
- McLay, L.A., Mayorga, M.E., 2011. Evaluating the Impact of Performance Goals on Dispatching Decisions in Emergency Medical Service. IIE Transactions on Healthcare Service Engineering 1, 185 – 196.
- McLay, L.A., Foufoulides, C., Merrick, J.R.W., 2011. Using Simulation Optimization to Construct Cost-Effective Screening Strategies for Cervical Cancer. Health Care Management Science 13(4), 294 – 318.
- McLay, L.A., Dreiding, R., Howe, G.L. 2011. Rethinking the Encounter Probability for Direct-to-Target Nuclear Attacks for Aviation Security, Journal of Transportation Security 4(3), 447 – 480.
- Chanta, S., Mayorga, M.E., Kurz, M.E., McLay, L.A., 2011. The minimum p-envy location problem: A new model for equitable distribution of emergency resources. IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering 1(2), 101 – 115.
- McLay, L.A., J. D. Lloyd, and E. Niman, 2011. Interdicting Nuclear Material on Cargo Containers using Knapsack Problem Models. Annals of Operations Research 187(1), 185 – 205.
- McLay, L.A., Moore, H. 2012. Hanover County Improves Its Response to Emergency Medical 911 Calls. Interfaces 42(4), 380-394.
- Rothschild, C., McLay, L.A., Guikema, S., 2012. Adversarial risk analysis with incomplete information: A level-k approach. Risk Analysis 32(7), 1219 – 1231. This paper was selected as a Best Paper of 2012 for Risk Analysis.
- Bandar, D., Mayorga, M.E., McLay, L.A., 2012. Optimal Dispatching Strategies for Emergency Vehicles to Increase Patient Survivability. International Journal of Operational Research.
- McLay, L.A., Dreiding, R., 2012. Multilevel, Threshold-Based Policies for Cargo Container Security Screening Systems. European Journal of Operational Research 220, 522 – 529.
- McLay, L.A., Brooks, J.P., Boone, E.L., 2012. Analyzing the Volume and Nature of Emergency Medical Calls during Severe Weather Events using Regression Methodologies. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences 46, 55 – 66.
- McLay, L.A., Rothschild, C., Guikema, S., 2012. Robust adversarial risk analysis: A level-k approach. Decision Analysis 9(1), 41 –54.
- Kunkel, A., McLay, L.A. 2013. Determining minimum staffing levels during snowstorms using an integrated simulation, regression, and reliability model. Health Care Management Science 16(1), 14 – 26.
- McLay, L.A., Mayorga, M.E., 2013. A model for optimally dispatching ambulances to emergency calls with classification errors in patient priorities. IIE Transactions 45(1), 1—24. This paper was selected as a Best Paper Award for IIE Transactions Focused Issue on Scheduling and Logistics.
- Mayorga, M.E., Bandara, D., McLay, L.A., 2013. Districting and dispatching policies for emergency medical service systems to improve patient survival, IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering 3(1), 39 – 56.
- Toro-Diaz, H., Mayorga, M.E., Chanta, S., McLay, L.A., 2013. Joint location and dispatching decisions for Emergency Medical Services. Computers & Industrial Engineering 64(4), 917 – 928.
- Dreiding, R.A., McLay, L.A., An Integrated Screening Model for Screening Cargo Containers for Nuclear Weapons. European Journal of Operational Research 230, 181 – 189.
- Malhotra, A.K., Goldberg, S.R., McLay, L., Martin, N.R., Wolfe, L.G., Levy, M.M., Khiatani, V., Borchers, T.C., Duane, T.M., Aboutanos, M.B., Ivatury, R.R., 2014. DVT Surveillance Program in the ICU: Analysis of cost-effectiveness. PLOS ONE 9(9), e106793.
- Chanta, S., Mayorga, M. E., McLay, L. A., 2014. Improving Rural Emergency Services without Sacrificing Coverage: A Bi-Objective Covering Location Model for EMS Systems. Annals of Operations Research 221(1), 133 – 159.
- Sudtachat, K., Mayorga, M.E., McLay, L.A. 2014. Recommendations for Dispatching Emergency Vehicles under Multi-tiered Response via Simulation. International Transactions in Operational Research 21(4), 581-617.
- Chanta, S., Mayorga, M.E., McLay, L.A., 2014. The minimum p-envy problem with requirement on minimum survival rate. Computers & Industrial Engineering 74, 228 – 239.
- Clarke, J., McLay, L.A., McLeskey, Jr., J.T., 2014. Comparison of genetic algorithm to particle swarm for constrained simulation-based optimization. Advanced Engineering Informatics 28, 81 – 90.
- Bandara, D., Mayorga, M.E., McLay, L.A., 2014. Priority Dispatching Strategies for EMS Systems, The Journal of the Operational Research Society 65, 572 – 587.
- Grannan, B.C., Bastian, N., McLay, L.A. A Maximum Expected Covering Problem for Locating and Dispatching Two Classes of Military Medical Evacuation Air Assets. Operations Research Letters 9, 1511-1531.
- Toro-Diaz, H., Mayorga, M.E., McLay, L.A., Rajagopalan, H., Saydem, C., Reducing disparities in large scale emergency medical service systems, Journal of the Operational Research Society 66, 1169-1181. doi:10.1057/jors.2014.83
- McLay, L.A., Mayorga, M.E., 2013. A dispatching model for server-to-customer systems that balances efficiency and equity. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 15(2), 205 – 200.
- Ansari, S., McLay, L.A., Mayorga, M.E., 2015. A Maximum Expected Covering Problem for District Design, Transportation Science 51(1), 376 – 390.
- Sudtachat, K., Mayorga, M.E., McLay, L.A., 2016. A Nested-Compliance Table Policy for Emergency Medical Service Systems under Relocation. OMEGA 58, 154 – 168.
- Barker, K., Lambert, J.H., Zobel, C.W., Tapia, A.H., Ramirez-Marques, J.E., Albert, L., Nicholson, C., Caragea, C., 2017. Defining resilience analytics. Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure 2(2), 59 – 67. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23789689.2017.1294859
- Ansari, S., Yoon, S., Albert, L. A., 2017. An approximate Hypercube model for public service systems with co-located servers and multiple response. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review. 103, 143 – 157. DOI: 1016/j.tre.2017.04.013.
- Yoon, S., Albert, L. An Expected Coverage Model with a Cutoff Priority Queue. Health Care Management Science 21(4), 517 – 533. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10729-017-9409-3.
- Enayati, S., Mayorga, M., Toro-Diaz, H., Albert, L. 2018. Identifying trade-offs in equity and efficiency for simultaneously optimizing location and multi-priority dispatch of ambulances. International Transactions in Operational Research 26, 415 – 438. DOI:1111/itor.12590
- Iloglu, S., Albert, L.A. An Integrated Network Design and Scheduling Problem for Network Recovery and Emergency Response. Operations Research Perspectives 5, 218 – 231. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orp.2018.08.001
- Zheng, K., and Albert, L.A. An exact algorithm for solving the bilevel facility interdiction and fortification problem. Operations Research Letters 46(6), 573 – 578.
- Almoghathawia, Y., Barker, K., Albert, L. 2019. Resilience-Driven Restoration Model for Interdependent Infrastructure Networks, To appear in Reliability Engineering and System Safety.
- Zheng, K., and Albert, L.A. 2019. A robust approach for mitigating risks in cyber supply chains, To appear in Risk Analysis.
- McLay, L.A., Jacobson, S.H., Kobza, J.E., 2006. “Balancing Technology Capability Enhancement and Passenger Prescreening Information for Aviation Baggage Screening, Proceedings of Safe Skies Symposium, Washington, DC.
- Jacobson, S.H., Hall, S.N., McLay, L.A., 2006, “Visiting Near-Optimal Solutions Using Local Search Algorithms.” Proceedings in Computational Statistics, COMPSTAT 2006 (Editors, A. Rizzi, M. Vichi), Physica-Verlag, Springer, Heidelberg, Germany, 471-481.
- Chanta, S., Mayorga, M., McLay, L., Wiecek, M., 2009, “A Bi-Objective Covering Location Model for EMS Systems.” Proceedings of the 2009 Industrial Engineering Research Conference. Won Best Paper Award in the Operations Research track.
- Buede, D., Mahoney, S., Guikema, S., Ezell, B., McLay, L., 2010. “Plural models for adaptive adversary modeling.” Proceedings of the Workshop on Grand Challenges in Modeling, Simulation, and Analysis for Homeland Security (MSAHS 2010).
- Albert McLay, L., 2015. Discrete optimization models for homeland security and emergency management, TutORial at the 2015 INFORMS Annual Meeting, November 1-4, 2015, Philadelphia, PA.
- Erkin Otles, Laura Albert Mclay, Jillian K Gorski, and Brian W Patterson. 2016. Forecasting emergency department patient admissions utilizing machine learning. Academic Emergency Medicine 23:S90
- McLay, L.A., S.H. Jacobson, and J.E. Kobza, 2005. “Making Skies Safer: Applying Operations Research to Aviation Passenger Prescreening Systems,” ORMS Today, 32(5), 24-31. Later reprinted in Analytics, Spring 2008, 12-17.
- McLay, L.A., 2009. “Interviewing for an academic position,” In Tips on getting an
academic position, Ed. Z.J. Pei, Lulu, 33 – 36.
- McLay, L.A. “Beneath and Beyond Blogging for OR,” IFORS News 6(3), September 2012, available at http://ifors.org/newsletter/IFORSsept2012.pdf.
- Albert, L. “Opportunities for O.R. at the National Science Foundation.” ORMS Today 44(3), p. 10.
Papers under review
- Zheng, K., Albert, L., Luedtke, J.R., Towle, E. 2017. A budgeted maximum multiple coverage model for cybersecurity planning and management, Submitted to IISE Transactions, April 2017. Under revision.
- Zheng, K., and Albert, L.A. Interdiction models for delaying adversarial attacks against critical information technology infrastructure. Submitted to Naval Research Logistics, September 2018.
- Yoon, S. and Albert, L.A., 2018. Dynamic Resource Assignment for Emergency Response with Multiple Types of Vehicles, Submitted to Operations Research, October 2018.
- Dubois, E. Albert, L.A. 2018. Dispatching Policies During Prolonged Mass Casualty Incidents. Submitted to Production and Operations Management.
- Iloglu, S. and Albert, L.A. A maximal multiple coverage and network restoration problem for disaster recovery. Submitted to OMEGA, January 2019.
- Yoon, S., and Albert, L.A. A dynamic ambulance routing model with multiple response. Submitted to Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, January 2019.
- Yoon, S., and Albert, L.A. A Scenario-Based Ambulance Location Model for Emergency Response with Two Types of Vehicles. In final preparation to be submitted to Transportation Science.
- Albert, L.A., Angelis, J. 2017. Jump balls, rating falls, and elite status: A sensitivity analysis of three quarterback rating statistics. Submitted to Journal of Sports Analytics, December 2017.
Slides for various invited talks are tagged here and listed below:
- My keynote at the 4th International Workshop on Planning of Emergency Services in Delft
- Advanced analytics for supporting public policy, bracketology, and beyond! My WISCNET 2017 keynote.
- The math behind March Madness: my public lecture in the Crossroads of Ideas seminar series in the Discovery Building at the UW-Madison campus
- Fuzzy Vance Lecture in Mathematics at Oberlin in 2015
- German OR Society semi-plenary lecture in 2014
Blog posts about courses I’ve taught:
- Engineering systems: critical infrastructure and logistics (freshmen introduction to engineering module)
- Public sector operations research: a PhD seminar course (the course blog is here)
Categories: Decision Analysis (DA), linear programming (LP), integer programming (IP), modeling (MOD), applied probability (AP), and simulation (SIM)
- [SIM] Presidential election forecasting model similar to what Nate Silver developed for 538. I have instructions, an Excel spreadsheet for Monte Carlo simulation, and an Excel spreadsheet that can be used with @RISK.
- [IP,MOD] My slides on modeling how to locate ambulances for responding to calls for service
- [LP] My slides on football decision-making and game theory
- [DA] I made an Excel spreadsheet to perform a MODA analysis on how I should obtain my morning cup of coffee. The blog posts are here and here.
- [DA] I made an Excel spreadsheet to perform MODA analysis on which washing machine to purchase. The blog posts are here and here.
- [AP, MOD] I created an Excel spreadsheet model to compute the expected number of state license plates I would see on a road trip. The related blog posts are here and here.
- [LP] I created a linear programming model in an Excel spreadsheet (instructions here if you want to use this as a teaching aid) for solving the assignment problem that was applied to a real data set to arrange marriages. The related blog post is here.