Today, I gave a keynote talk at the Advances in Data Science & Operations Research Virtual Conference, presented by Universidad Galileo in collaboration with INFORMSttt. It’s the first INFORMS conference made for Latino America that brings together the scientific community from the areas of operations research, business intelligence, and data science. Dr. Jorge Samayoa, the General Chair, and Dr. José Ramírez, the Executive Chair, were wonderful hosts.
My keynote talk was entitled “Optimization with impact: my journey in public sector operations research.” My slides are below.
References from my talk include:
- L.A. Albert. 2020. Engaging the media: Telling our operations research stories to the public. SN Operations Research Forum 1 (14) https://doi.org/10.1007/s43069-020-00017-0
- Many of my media appearances are here.
- Zheng, K., Albert, L., Luedtke, J.R., Towle, E. 2019. A budgeted maximum multiple coverage model for cybersecurity planning and management, IISE Transactions 51(12), 1303-1317.
- Zheng, K., and Albert, L.A. A robust approach for mitigating risks in cyber supply chains, Risk Analysis 39(9), 2076-2092.
- Zheng, K., and Albert, L.A. Interdiction models for delaying adversarial attacks against critical information technology infrastructure. Naval Research Logistics 66(5), 411 – 429.
- Enayaty-Ahangar, F., Albert, L.A., DuBois, E. 2020. A surey of optimization models and methods for cyberinfrastructure security. To appear in IISE Transactions. https://doi.org/10.1080/24725854.2020.1781306
- McLay, L. A., S. H. Jacobson, and J. E. Kobza, 2006. A Multilevel Passenger Prescreening Problem for Aviation Security, Naval Research Logistics 53 (3), 183 – 197.
- Lee, A.J., A. McLay, and S.H. Jacobson, 2009. Designing Aviation Security Passenger Screening Systems using Nonlinear Control. SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization 48(4), 2085 – 2105.
- McLay, L. A., S. H. Jacobson, and A. G. Nikolaev, 2009. A Sequential Stochastic Passenger Screening Problem for Aviation Security, IIE Transactions 41(6), 575 – 591.
- McLay, L.A., S.H. Jacobson, A.J. Lee, 2010. Risk-Based Policies for Aviation Security Checkpoint Screening. Transportation Science 44(3), 333-349.
- Albert, L.A., Nikolaev, A., Lee, A.J., Fletcher, K., and Jacobson, S.H., 2020. A Review of Risk-Based Security and Its Impact on TSA PreCheck, To appear in IISE Transactions.
Fire and Emergency Medical Services
- McLay, L.A., A Maximum Expected Covering Location Model with Two Types of Servers, IIE Transactions 41(8), 730 – 741.
- McLay, L.A. and M.E. Mayorga, 2010. Evaluating Emergency Medical Service Performance Measures. Health Care Management Science 13(2), 124 – 136.
- McLay, L.A., Mayorga, M.E., 2011. Evaluating the Impact of Performance Goals on Dispatching Decisions in Emergency Medical Service. IIE Transactions on Healthcare Service Engineering 1, 185 – 196.
- McLay, L.A., Moore, H. 2012. Hanover County Improves Its Response to Emergency Medical 911 Calls. Interfaces 42(4), 380-394.
- McLay, L.A., Mayorga, M.E., 2013. A model for optimally dispatching ambulances to emergency calls with classification errors in patient priorities. IIE Transactions 45(1), 1—24.
- Toro-Diaz, H., Mayorga, M.E., Chanta, S., McLay, L.A., 2013. Joint location and dispatching decisions for Emergency Medical Services. Computers & Industrial Engineering 64(4), 917 – 928.
- Chanta, S., Mayorga, M. E., McLay, L. A., 2014. Improving Rural Emergency Services without Sacrificing Coverage: A Bi-Objective Covering Location Model for EMS Systems. Annals of Operations Research 221(1), 133 – 159.
- Grannan, B.C., Bastian, N., McLay, L.A. A Maximum Expected Covering Problem for Locating and Dispatching Two Classes of Military Medical Evacuation Air Assets. Operations Research Letters 9, 1511-1531.
- McLay, L.A., Mayorga, M.E., 2013. A dispatching model for server-to-customer systems that balances efficiency and equity. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 15(2), 205 – 200.
- Ansari, S., McLay, L.A., Mayorga, M.E., 2015. A Maximum Expected Covering Problem for District Design, Transportation Science 51(1), 376 – 390.
- Ansari, S., Yoon, S., Albert, L. A., 2017. An approximate Hypercube model for public service systems with co-located servers and multiple response. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review. 103, 143 – 157.
- Yoon, S., Albert, L. An Expected Coverage Model with a Cutoff Priority Queue. Health Care Management Science 21(4), 517 – 533. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10729-017-9409-3.
- Yoon, S., and Albert, L.A. A dynamic ambulance routing model with multiple response. To appear in Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tre.2019.11.001
- Yoon, S., Albert, L.A., and V.M. White 2020. A Scenario-Based Ambulance Location Model for Emergency Response with Two Types of Vehicles. To appear in Transportation Science.