Mike Trick’s post on the status of P=NP is required reading. He writes about a new review paper on the status of P=NP (by Lance Fortnow at Northwestern) and its corresponding New York Times article. I had not heard about either. There have been a few recent developments on the P=NP front (check out the blog Godel’s Lost Letter and P=NP for updates). I have trouble keeping track of all of the news and had always felt like a review article was needed. I am thrilled that one now exists, along with the newspaper article to explain the concept more clearly to non-experts. I will be using both in some of my classes. For more info, please check out Mike Trick’s blog post.
October 8, 2009
The status of P=NP? Still open.
By Laura Albert
This entry was posted on Thursday, October 8th, 2009 at 11:24 am and tagged with computing and posted in Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
2 responses to “The status of P=NP? Still open.”
Join 6,552 other subscribers
Search Punk Rock OR:
- Zoom protip: how to summon others to a zoom meeting on-the-fly without having to cut and paste a zoom invitation:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- RT @PurdueME: In the 1960s, @LifeAtPurdue looked very different. That all changed thanks to the "Chicago Six," a group of @PurdueEngineers… 1 day ago
- It's #InternationalClashDay I am revisiting a post on #PunkRockOR about The Clash's songs about climate change an… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Machine learning humor from #xkcd xkcd.com/2731/ #DataScience #ML https://t.co/eN4xFp6AKq 1 day ago
- RT @NYTScience: An online math community faced a problem-solving dilemma when it was asked a simple question: How can you chop a square int… 1 day ago
- A high school student solves a stubborn riddle about prime number lookalikes. From @QuantaMagazine: quantamagazine.org/teenager-solve…? #math #maths 1 day ago
- Laura Albert on 10 simple rules for going away to college and being on your own
- nidhimagrover98 on 10 simple rules for going away to college and being on your own
- luiseduardoduranL on 10 simple rules for going away to college and being on your own
- Les Servi on 10 simple rules for going away to college and being on your own
Tagsacademia analytics art aviation blogs cheese computing conferences cooking coupons criminal justice data decision analysis disasters education elections emergencies environmentalism & natural living finance football analytics grand challenges health healthcare higher education holidays home homeland security humanitarian invited talks lightning lottery march madness math programming mip MODA newspapers Olympics optimization OR in the news pandemic PhD phd support pirates podcast and video Poisson politics probability public policy publishing queuing risk communication sabbatical science communication science fair secretary problem slidecasts social justice social networking sports star wars stochastic processes supply chains teaching teaching with technology traffic Transportation TSP twitter vampires weather werewolves women work-life balance writing zombies